I hand stitched mine together instead of stapling it cause it was kind of thick. It was also pretty hard to sew, but it helped to wiggle the needle back and forth when trying to get through all of the layers.
I used Canson Mixed Media paper in case I wanted to do some light watercoloring inside. It's supposed to handle wet media anyways, but you can see the paper wrinkled a bit on the cover where I painted it.
The tape I used on the spine is hot pink duck-tape (so fun!) and some of my washi tape.
I wrote "make more mistakes" to encourage me to use it, and not worry about "mistakes."
Head on over to Laura's blog to check out the instructions (which are illustrated!)